Cupcake Wars Birthday Party

by Diane Brooks on January 17, 2011

As a Mom to Twins, it is always a challenge to plan a doubly fantastic birthday–and one just after the Christmas holiday.  This year, we were inspired by the Food Network show CupCake Wars.  The cupcakes created on the show are unusual and beautiful.

We decided to invite friends who would be divided into 2 teams of 4.  Each team would be responsible for baking a cupcake from scratch, decorating it, cleaning up the kitchen, and presenting their creations to a guest judge.   Each team was given 1 hour to complete their cupcakes.  On the show, contestants have 30 minutes.  They would be judged on creativity, appearance and taste.

It was easy to find whimsical prizes and take home gifts for the girls.  Cupcake banks that could be painted and cupcake charms for a necklace or bracelet came from Oriental Trading Co.  Cupcake mini calendars and Cupcake notepads were found at Michaels.  Cupcake oven mitts and hot pads were purchased from Target.

The results?  A hilarious evening of belly laughs and fun + some delicious cupcakes and some not-so-delicious cupcakes.  (Oh, and a very messy kitchen.  The clean up criteria did not exactly work out as planned, but my kind husband pitched in, and the work was done.)

All in all, it was a memorable event for my daughters and their friends.  One of them commented that this was the best birthday party ever!  That was music to my ears.

{ 18 comments… read them below or add one }

Nancy January 17, 2011 at 1:39 pm

Hello, Dianne. Thank you for visiting and commenting on my blog. I appreciate it very much!

The cuppy-cake theme looks like it worked out well for your twins' birthday party. What a great idea! I'm sure everyone loved it!

Diane Brooks January 17, 2011 at 5:00 pm

Thanks Nancy for your comment! It was a very fun party. I failed to mention that it was a sleep over too, so the fun continued until midnight!

Shabnam Ahsan January 21, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Your cupcakes reminded me about the famous very old cupcake song that was sung by a small girl. Such events are really helpful to release tensions. I wanna eat some now. Nice party :-)

limewire free download February 27, 2011 at 6:54 pm

trying to find you on facebook

katie April 18, 2011 at 12:13 am

Interested in making a “cupcake wars’ birthday party for my 12 year old daughter. Would love to hear more details about yours.

Diane Brooks May 13, 2011 at 2:03 am

Hi Katie, I just now spotted this comment. So sorry! I am happy to fill you in more on the party. Do you have some specific questions I can answer? The party was the “best ever” according to the girls–all 11 and 12 year olds.

Shelia May 31, 2011 at 8:07 pm

Thinking about having a Cupcake War birthday party for 12 year old, what specific supplies did you have available. Did you do cake mix or recipes to choose from? Thanks

Diane Brooks June 6, 2011 at 5:55 pm

Hi Shelia,

We had cook books available–there are some great cupcake cook books out there now. All of the cup cakes were made from scratch. Some were delicious, and others–not so much. But the varying results made the party all that much more fun. We had a number of toppings–heath bar crunch, chocolates, sprinkles, candy canes, hershey kisses, food coloring, you name it all at the girls’ disposal. One group topped their cupcakes with fresh strawberries and melted chocolate.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also I would love to hear how your party turns out!

Diane

Deb June 3, 2011 at 4:27 pm

Hi Diane,

My 10 year old daughter will be turning 11 at the end of July. She also watches “Cupcake Wars” on the Food Network so we were planning a similar party but thought it might be easier to have it at a facility that was a little larger than my kitchen. Do you know of any companies/facilities that deal with these kind of parties?

Thanks Diane!
Deb

Diane Brooks June 6, 2011 at 6:00 pm

Hi Deb,

Thanks for your comment! Glick’s Junior Achievement Center might have the space to accommodate a party like that one. The Monon Center in Carmel might also be an option. I also thought of local churches. Maybe a generous friend would be willing to lend their kitchen.

Here is a tip: We only had one team bake at a time, so they did not need too much room.

I would love to hear how your party turns out! Please share here how it goes.

Emily September 4, 2011 at 3:35 pm

Hi Diane,
My daughters birthday is coming up!
I really like the idea of your girls birthday party!
My daughter would love this! Ecxacly how did you do all this?
Like, where didn you get all the cupcake mixes and the frostings and decoratins for all
the cupcakes?
if you could email me more about it that would be so helpful
Thanks!

Diane Brooks September 19, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Hi Emily, I am glad that you liked our idea. All of the cupcakes were made from scratch, so no mixes were used. If your daughter is younger, mixes would probably be a good idea, and a safer bet for a more tasty result. We bought the toppings and decorating items from Michael’s. They have a very nice cake decorating kit with the tools to do fancy designs with the frosting. We also shopped for fresh strawberries, chocolate bars (to do chocolate shavings) and candies from the grocery store. We also had food coloring on hand to color the frosting.

Write back and let me know how your party turns out! Good luck!

Diane

Deanna K December 4, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Since you had one team baking at a time, what what the other team doing while the kitchen was occupied?

Lesley Otto December 4, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Hi Diane, glad I stumbled upon your website. I, too have twin girls that are turning 13. We decided to do a Cupcake Wars party. I just sent the invite out that looked like a cupcake. Whatcha think if I have cupcakes all made, and they just need to come up with ideas to decorate them. Should each group of 4 have a specific theme, or just provide them with all kinds of goodies to create their own clever cupcakes. I would love to hear from you. Our party is December 17th Thanks so much

Diane Brooks December 5, 2011 at 7:27 am

Hi Deanna,
We found some fun cupcake related crafts for the girls to do while they waited for their turn to bake. I ordered ceramic cupcake banks that they painted. I also found cupcake beads (ceramic) that they made into necklaces or bracelets by adding other beads.

Our party was a sleepover, so there was plenty of time to get everything done.

Diane Brooks December 5, 2011 at 7:32 am

Lesley, I hope your party will be a big success! I would probably let them come up with their own theme and then they would need to do a presentation and explain the theme and the materials used. We also used an outside judge–a high school student –who came to the party just to judge. She did not know the girls and did a great job of being impartial, but at the same time, making everyone feel good about their efforts.

Party Ideas For Girls July 13, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Pretty! This has been a really wonderful post. Thanks for
providing these details.

Diane Brooks July 13, 2012 at 10:53 pm

Thank you for your comment! I wish you the best if you are planning a special celebration soon. We are already talking about the next one…